Thursday, January 29, 2015

Hometown Tourist


       

I love living in Arizona. I love the 70 degree temps in January and yes, I even love the 115 degree temps in August. I know, I'm a freak. I love being surrounded by mountains and cactus. After having lived just one winter in a snowy climate, I absolutely love that I can visit the snow in a mere two hour drive and yet, not have to shovel the same from my driveway. I love our sunsets and, when I manage to drag my booty out of bed early enough to catch one, I love our sunrises. I truly am thankful each day that God has planted us here. 

My husband and daughters are natives of this great state. Indeed, they like to call me an outsider and remind me that I'm not a true Arizonan despite that fact that I've been here since I was five years old. Despite my carpetbagger status, they've taken me in as one of their own. The hubs does have some pretty legit street cred when it comes to the issue though. His great grandparents were ranchers in Arizona before it was a state. A fact of which he is very proud and shares often.

Whenever we meet someone new, particularly when we are traveling, and any of the aforementioned facts come up, ninety percent of the time we will inevitably get asked this question: Have you been to the Grand Canyon?

Really? As if the Grand Canyon is the only thing Arizona has going. I mean, we're home to the Cardinals, the Suns and I think we might even have a baseball team. Speaking of baseball, how about spring training? Hello? We play host to one of the premier zoos in the country and the stunning Desert Botanical Gardens are right next door. Are museums your thing? The  Phoenix Art Museum, the Heard Museum and the Musical Instrument Museum all call this great state home. Broadways shows come to Arizona just to perform in beautiful venues such as the Herberger Theatre and Comerica Theatre. Do you like nature? Take a trip to Snowbowl, Thumb Butte and Mount Lemon and cast your sights on views that rival any vacation destination. Speaking of beauty, the Arizona Ballet and Phoenix Symphony Orchestra are not to be missed. I could go on and on about all Arizona has to offer that is not to be missed.

As much as I loathe the Grand Canyon question, it does highlight one glaring fact. I've never been to the Grand Canyon. True story.  In fact, many of the attractions I mentioned as not to be missed, I have, in fact, missed. Many of them I've not visited in years and some I've never even seen.  

This very topic came up for discussion recently as the fam and I drove out to an early Saturday morning hike. Just as we were feeling pretty down on ourselves, we had a stroke of brilliance. (And by we, I mean the hubs.)  Why don't we, he suggested, become tourists in our hometown? Let's create a bucket list of Arizona attractions and make this the year we finally visit more, see more, and do more.  

I know we're not mavericks when it comes to the notion of being tourists in your own city. People have been taking stay-cations for years. But, for us, the idea of being tourists needed to encompass more than just weekend trips to museums or eating at new resteraunts.

Dont get me worng. We definitely want to do those things and those are exactly the type of things on the list. But, for us, being a tourist also means approaching all we do with fresh eyes and renewed excitement. When we're on vacation everything feels fun and exciting. We might see a movie, but there's something about seeing it in a new city that makes it feel special. Dessert tastes sweeter. Hands are held longer. Dinners are lingered over and games last way past bedtime. This is the attitude we want to bring to our school days, our work days, our holidays. Our goal is to approach all we do with excitement and enthusiasm, whether it's a day out or a night in, a meal at a new restaurant or simply dinner and a movie in the living room.

This is the year we become hometown tourists. We certainly aim to do more and see more. But, most importantly, we are striving to be present more. 

All that and I don't even have to pack.

1 comment: