Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sugar & Spice...






It is with a bit of sadness that I bid farewell to February. I love February because, in our home, it is the epitome of everything girlie. We usher in Valentine's Day with pink hearts, heart-shaped cupcakes, valentines made of doilies and we close out our month with the annual Daddy Daughter Dance at our church. It was also as we prepared for the dance that I realized I am in the long process, but one that will pass by much too quickly, of bidding farewell to the little girl days for my daughters. Yes, they are only 6 and 8 and yet, at the same time, oh my gosh they are already 6 and 8. My eight-year-old picked out a more mature dress than years past (still father approved appropriate though!) and I noticed what a beautiful young lady she is becoming. I was so happy to hear that they still played tag with their friends at the dance and that Emma still cried "happy tears" as she danced with her daddy to their favorite song.






It's been a bit of sugar and spice in the kitchen as well as we have committed to making as much of our food from scratch as possible. Better for us, better for the environment, better for our wallets... We started with bread this week and I am happy to report it was a huge success. I found a wonderful recipe that actually lets you prepare the dough in loaves of three and tear off just what you need to bake that day. It is wonderful and with a little prep time on the weekend, you can have fresh baked bread everyday. Yum!! This week: cheese....we'll see...



So, welcome March! We're in Arizona so this also means we are welcoming summer. It is already 90 degrees and the girls are dipping their feet in the pool. We should see a few more days of 70s and 80s before triple digits become the norm, so we are thankful for the blessing of this gorgeous weather. We've been outside a lot and are getting ready to plant a garden- our first ever!! I am excited and nervous. The thought of having fresh veggies to go on my homemade bread is motivating me, despite my complete lack of experience in this area.






In His Service...

2 comments:

  1. It is with such pride as a mother and grandmother that I can read about my family and share in their joy as a family and as children of God. How lucky we are to have this technology that allows to share lives, thoughts, pictures and feelings. WOW - there are really no words that can express my love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great to see you and your family. I have missed you so, and I to am lacking the "communication skill". It is so nice to know a fellow Mom (who I believe is a Rock Star), is also dealing with everyday living, and can not find time to make those 8 million phone calls!
    I am truly blessed to have you as my friend, and I thank you so much for sharing your pictures, and stories with me. NOW~ I need to conquer my blog, LOL!!! See the whole communication skill! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete